After some pretty excting weeks, I am finally back with a new edition of my CNA weekly. I had the pleasure to attend KubeCon in Copenhagen and I am still amazed by all the great sessions & collaborative culture across the event. I had so many energizing conversations and can only confirm the observations that my colleague Tim shared in his blogpost about the “hallway track“.
vSphere Integrated Containers
- VIC 1.4 has been released earlier this week. It includes many new features such as support for Remote Office, Branch Office (ROBO) usecases outside of the core datacenters. In that context, Harbor 1.4 has also been released.
- Overview blogpost about Enterprise-Ready Containers with vSphere Integrated Containers 1.4
- Support for ROBO usecases
- DRS Affinity for placement across availability zones/failure domains, etc.
- Upgrading has become even easier with version 1.4, check out the video from the blogpost
- Harbor now allows a per-project definition of repositories (e.g. including Docker Hub in Dev project but not in Production)
- Harbor also saw some exciting updates, including a Helm Chart for Harbor 1.4 which is now merged into the Harbor GitHub Repo
Pivotal Container Service
- Pivotal Container Service 1.0.3 has been released
- New PKS Reference Architecture: Building an on-premise Kubernetes solution with VMware PKS and NSX-T by Hany Michaels
- William Lam (@lamw) has continued his work on the Getting started with VMware Pivotal Container Service (PKS) blogpost series with a few more blogposts: Overview, PKS Client, NSX-T, Ops Manager and BOSH, PKS Control Plane, Kubernetes Go!, Harbor, Monitoring Tool Overview, Logging, Infrastructure Monitoring, Application Monitoring!
- Enable the Easy Button to Bridge the Worlds of Containers and VMs — watch Pat Gelsinger’s Keynote at Dell Technologies World on VMware Pivotal Container Service
- Introducing nsx-t-gen: Automating NSX-T Install with Concourse, a pretty awesome open source CI/CD toolkit
- Installing Pivotal Container Service (PKS) on VMware vSphere and NSX-T (17min video)
- PKS Networking Setup tips and tricks by Cormac Hogan
- VMware’s Dirk Hohndel on Why the Crux of Open Source Is Always People (theCUBE video interview)
- Inside Kubernetes Resource Management (QoS) – KubeCon session by my friend Michael Gasch
- In case you missed it: VMware SIG meeting in Kubernetes Community (calls every 2 weeks) meeting notes and agenda
- Blockchain and Open Source Are Natural Partners
- Introducing OpenFaaS Cloud – it makes it even easier for developers to build and ship functions with Docker using a Git-based workflow with native integrations for GitHub and more
- The New Stack Pancakes at Kubecon + CloudNativeCon EU: All About SPIFFE and SPIRE
- Dispatch – An open source serverless framework presentation by the core contributers (presentation from Cloud Foundry Summit)
- Cloud Native Computing Foundation Recap Blogpost: https://www.cncf.io/blog/2018/05/15/a-look-back-at-kubecon-cloudnativecon-europe-2018/
- KubeCon video recordings on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvqbFHwN-nwalWPjPUKpvTA/videos
- Financial Times keynote from KubeCon: migrating 150 microservices to Kubernetes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H06qrNmGqyE
- Monzo Bank – A K8s Outage Post Mortem (blogpost & video from KubeCon)
- “Running with Scissors” – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltrV-Qmh3oY
- Lightwave / SPIFFE / SPIRE Deep-Dive talk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXwFB34BBrM
- Aqua Security Collaborates with VMware to Deliver Runtime Application Protection Across Virtualized and Container-Based Environments
- Zero to Cloud in 12 Steps – 12 Factors, and how they apply to applications running on Cloud Foundry and similar platform
- “Windows Containers in Cloud Foundry? Here’s How We Did It” – technical details for how Pivotal Engineering implemented containers on Windows Server Core 2016 for Pivotal Cloud Foundry
- GitOps: ‘Git Push’ All the Things
- SRE vs. DevOps: competing standards or close friends?