Only few days ago, the vSphere Integrated Containers team released the newest version 0.7 on GitHub and Bintray. I just want to summarize a few resources for tests with this release here and document some gotchas that have already been raised. Remember: this code is still a beta release so don’t deploy it to production immediately. You can also read up on the announcement of VIC as part of vSphere 6.5 in the official press release from VMworld.
Here are the links:
- The very comprehensive vSphere Integrated Containers Engine 0.7 Install Guide offers a lot of detail and has all the new flags for the installer already included. PDF for Download: https://vmware.github.io/vic/assets/files/pdf/vic_installation.pdf & as HTML page: https://vmware.github.io/vic/assets/files/html/vic_installation/index.html
- vSphere Integrated Containers Bintray download page: https://bintray.com/vmware/vic/Download/v0.7.0
- Release Notes for 0.7: https://github.com/vmware/vic/releases/tag/v0.7.0
- vSphere Integrated Containers Engine for vSphere Administrators: https://vmware.github.io/vic/assets/files/html/vic_admin/index.html
- Developing Container Applications with vSphere Integrated Containers Engine: https://vmware.github.io/vic/assets/files/html/vic_app_dev/index.html
During the installation, you can now specify a fixed IP address instead of DHCP for your Virtual Container Host (VCH) – this is one of the new features in the 0.7 release. Please make sure to use –dns-server with your vic-machine command to set the DNS server address in the VCH. Otherwise it will use the network gateway which results in some timeout errors during the installation. There is already an issue documented at https://github.com/vmware/vic/issues/3060.
If you deploy VIC in your environment and encounter any issues, please open a issue on GitHub (https://github.com/vmware/vic/issues). You can also reach out to myself via Twitter and I’ll try to get back to you as soon as possible.