Welcome to this little Cloud Native newsletter!
The world of Cloud Native Applications and Platforms is moving very fast – the goal of this newsletter is to capture some highlights from the previous week: blogposts, videos, tweets or other valuable links that I came across. Feel free to forward this newsletter to your friends and colleagues. I promise to keep it interesting and I am always open for suggestions (e.g. via Twitter @bbrundert).
- On February 12, Pivotal Container Service 1.0 became generally available. Check out these blogposts that capture some of the highlights:
- In this blogpost, Swisscom’s Application Cloud team shares some details on their Containers-as-a-Service offering. They were part of the Pivotal Container Service early access program and were so kind to do a write-up of their experience: https://ict.swisscom.ch/2018/02/container-as-a-service-caas-part-i/
vSphere Integrated Containers
- VIC 1.3.1 was released, read more about the important security enhancements and updates: https://pubs.vmware.com/Release_Notes/en/vsphere-integrated-containers/13/vsphere-integrated-containers-131-release-notes.html
- Download VIC 1.3.1: https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vsphere_integrated_containers/1_3
VMware Cloud Native Applications and Platform News
- Transparent Container Networking across Pivotal Cloud Foundry, Pivotal Container Service, OpenShift and Virtual Machines: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN4eJk3C7uc – a super awesome demo by @yfauserduring TechFieldDay
- OpenFaaS founder Alex Ellis is joining VMware’s growing VMware Open Source Technology Center team to continue his defining work in Functions as a Service (FaaS): https://blogs.vmware.com/opensource/2018/02/19/vmware-welcomes-alex-ellis/
Learn more about OpenFaaS here: https://www.openfaas.com/
- There is a new set of Cloud Native Applications video learning resources available at : https://blogs.vmware.com/cloudnative/cloud-native-video-resources/ – check it out to learn more about containers, kubernetes, Pivotal Container Service, vSphere Integrated Containers and much more!
- A brand new “Containers and Container Networking for Network Engineers” whitepaper is now available at https://communities.vmware.com/thread/581308, you can also find a lot of great information in the NSX-T Reference Design Guide that was also released this week: https://blogs.vmware.com/networkvirtualization/2018/02/introducing-vmware-nsx-t-reference-design.html/
- Understanding and using the Kubernetes PodNodeSelector Admission Controller – https://embano1.github.io/post/podnodesel/ by @embano1
- Running Kubernetes on VMware – a brief overview about the options http://blog.think-v.com/?p=5651
- “Your Database Should Work Like a CDN”: https://www.cockroachlabs.com/blog/distributed-database-performance/ (not an andorsement of CockroachDB but an interesting thought)
- “The full-time job of keeping up with Kubernetes” – I specifically like the quote “Find your favorite VAR and demand vanilla Kubernetes, in any form, that’s reasonably up-to-date and has a well-proven plan for handling upgrades. Then forget about it and focus on building on its abstractions and the things around it that actually impact your product.” – https://gravitational.com/blog/kubernetes-release-cycle/#